As a co-operative, we are part of a long and important tradition in Saskatchewan of people working together to meet their common needs and aspirations. Since its beginnings, Steep Hill has been a community–focused, democratic business that balances financial and environmental sustainability.
7 Co-operative Principles
Co-operatives around the world operate according to the same core principles and values, adopted by the International Co-operative Alliance in 1995.
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Members’ economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training and information
- Co–operation among co-operatives
- Concern for community
Co-operatives are based on the values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity, and solidarity.
All co-operatives in Saskatchewan are regulated by the Co-operatives Act, 1996 and by their own bylaws.